Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Economic Crisis



The inundation of terrible economic news via the local, national and international media has, as you can see from this detail of my latest painting, penetrated my creative life as well as my purse.

In this work, I've used several rubbings that I did some years ago at the McNeill Water Treatment facility. A number of ex-employees and afficionados of old machinery have been repairing and cleaning up this amazing plant and hope one day to have a "museum".

It just seems to me that in the past decade, too much of our country's creativity and innovation has gone into growing huge profits in the financial sector and into armaments, rather than into growing our country and people as a whole. But perhaps this crisis is a wake-up call for change in strategies and priorities; that we change from a me-centered society into one that considers others.

No comments: