Friday, September 18, 2009

Rosh Hashonah


On this first night of Rosh Hashonah, I count my many blessings and give thanks for them. After our recent visit to Terezin, a former Nazi concentation camp, I'm especially mindful of the good life that I enjoy. Terezin, in the now Czech Republic, was the Nazi's model camp, a Potemkin facade, that they showed to the Red Cross, foreign dignitaries, etal. But it was in reality a hellish waiting room for its inmates who were sent to Auschwitz, Treblinka and other death camps, slavery labor battalions, from there, after being maltreated, tortured;many murdered.
Yet, today the grass is green tho' the paint is peeling, the bars and locks rusting...it just looks like any other institution that's no longer in use. The walls don't shed tears, the blood on the floors has long since disappeared. But the visitor has a sense of sadness; we witness that this place harbored evil. So I'm very aware this Rosh Hashonah Eve of my wonderful family and friends, of my blessings in living in this community and country.

No comments: