Friday, January 18, 2008

Thank you Shreveport

Thank you Shreveport for coming out in droves and making last pm's SIX and EXPERIMENTS IN COLOR show openings a wow Artspace evening. Thank you too to Bruce Allen, Leigh Elgin and her staff for the fine installation of the works. As a SIX participant, I'm biased, but I don't think Artspace has ever looked better. I am so very proud to be part of this stellar environment.
It still fills me w. wonder to see how my works become transformed when moved from the studio to a fine gallery space. There's enough space to move back and view them. I work on one at a time, so its different to view them as a group. Then there's that interaction between the work and the viewer that adds another dimension to each piece. My favorite moment last evening was watching Laura Harter's young son explore my sculptures. He caressed the rough concrete, poked fingers into the spaces, closely examined the pieces inserted into the concrete...the perfect viewer. I wish others had followed his example rather than keeping at a respectful distance.

No comments: