Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Staying Out of the Heat




The hundred degree temperatures have kept me indoors...so has my first incident of poison ivy. This work, painted on Rives BFK, had its genesis in a page from my sketchbook.

Its a look backwards, to my Brooklyn days in the forties. I thought of the many summer days my friend, Jessica and I spent sitting on her fire escape, reading comic books, playing board games, chatting. It was a short ride to Coney Island on the trolley or on the open air cars of the BMT. I recall stretching my neck to watch the daredevils who rode the amazing, hair raising parachute jump, walking on the boardwalk with an army of friends, seeing so many men in uniform, listening the latest music coming through the sideshow's speakers, eating hot dogs at Nathans, enjoying days at Steeplechase, matinees w. newsreels of battles and victory.

No comments: