Sunday, April 25, 2010

Artists' talk at The Meadows

Today, Sunday, April 25, the Meadows hosted several artists whose works are in the Triennial Show. Each spoke about the works in the show and responded to comments and questions from an interested and interesting audience : Jasmine Morelock, Bruce and Dorothy Allen, etal. I missed Ellen Soffer's presentation, but came in for part of her brother, Steve's, thoughts re his work that is very intuitive. Debbie Engle showed her found elements wall hung piece and a computer manipulated photo and explained the genesis of each. I wasn't familiar w. the young man from Ruston who showed his illustrations for several poetry chap books, and showed his beautifully crafted drawings.Sorry that I didn't get his name. I was surprised that he uses a 6B pencil...I'd have a smeary mess if I followed his example. My talk explained my use of narrative, challenging tech problems, the anti-war stance of my ploughshare series, and why I haven't been creating more concrete sculptures.
I wish we had more of these artist/audience sessions.

No comments: