Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dr. Lake at Broadmoor Library

With witty humor, amazing scholarship, and great storytelling, Dr. Lake showed his audience how the Elizabethan poets and dramatists wooed the royal court and advanced theatrical arts far beyond that of Spain, etc. His reading and interpretation of some Shakespeare's sonnets, Richard 2 and 3, brought applause. I wish I'd had my camera out when he recited the famous, stirring, patriotic John of Gault monologue.
I learned that most of the sonnets were written by Shakespeare during the two years that the London theatres were closed because of the plague. Much to my amazement, I also discovered that his main source of income was real estate, not writing; so many changes throughout the centuries, but not in how artists survive.

No comments: