Saturday, October 30, 2010

At last, cooler temps


Last weeks soaring temperatures reminded me of the unexpected super high ones we experienced in Venice this past August when starting our cruise adventure with our grandsons, Wyn and Dane. None if any of the public buildings were air conditioned, and I was grateful that we were on group tours so that we didn't have to stand in long lines under the broiling sun to visit the various tourist sites. The brilliant light bounced off white domes, gilded ornaments, the canals, erasing most details, and making shaded benches, arched arcades the best places to be.
This painting, just completed, harks back to that time. Its on Japanese rough paper, covered w. a layer of torn tissue paper and medium. I used palette knives so as to avoid details, and hope my viewer will experience with me that intense light and heat.

No comments: